Luxurious Christmas Cookies
14 December 2010
This is simply the ultimate cookie recipe; you will not find anything that tastes as indulgent in the supermarket. This recipe will definitely impress and the cookies go great with mulled wine.
( Makes 10)
- 125g dark chocolate
- 150g/5¼oz plain flour
- 30g cocoa
- 1 tsp bicarb. of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 125g/4oz butter
- 75g/2½oz brown sugar
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 350g of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3
- Break the 125g/4oz dark chocolate into pieces and place into a heatproof bowl set over a pan simmering water. Heat, stirring - occasionally, until melted.
- Place the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and two sugars together until fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and stir well.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and crack in the egg, then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 12 equal portions of the mixture - an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job - and place onto a lined baking sheet about 6cm/2½in apart. Do not flatten them.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 18 minutes, then test with a skewer - it should come out semi-clean and not wet with batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a little icing sugar.